Have you ever thought that your smartphone can be used as a remote to power on/off your home appliances and smart home products? Well, a lot of smartphones today come with a built-in infrared sensor. The built-in infra-red sensors on smartphones help to tweak the smartphones to use as remote to power the devices like Television, Set-top Boxes, Air conditioners(AC), SoundBox, and many more.
A number of Xiaomi smartphones are facilitated with an in-built infrared sensor. Even, Xiaomi devices are available with a built-in Infra-red remote controller application called Mi Remote.
Talking about Digital TV, We need to have a separate set-top box connected to the Television. Well, using two separate remotes for the television and the set-top box can be really cumbersome. However, not to worry if you are a user of Redmi Smartphones.
In this article, we will be guiding you through the processes to use Xiaomi smartphones as a remote controller for your Dish Home set-top box. Dish Home has been providing Direct to Home(DTH) service for more than 10 years. DishHome is the most popular and the oldest service provider in Nepal. Dish Home is currently providing its DTH service all over Nepal.
Must Read: Best Xiaomi Smartphones in Nepal under 25000
Smartphone as DishHome Remote
In this article, we will be more concerned about the set-up of Redmi or Xiaomi Smartphones as a remote for our DishHome set-top box. To use your smartphone, make sure your smartphone comes with an Infrared sensor.
- If your smartphone comes with an infrared sensor, make sure that Mi Remote is installed on your smartphone.
- If the app does not come preinstalled, it can be easily downloaded from the Google Play Store or Mi App Store.
Set-Up of Remote for DishHome Set-top Box
On your app launcher, search for Mi remote and open the application.
Connect the smartphone to the internet through Wi-Fi or Mobile Data. (No need to worry about the Data Usage, it is a one time process for configuration)
On the application, press the + icon or “Add remote” option and select Set-top box.
On the search box, type DigitalBox.
Now a dialog box appears to make sure your remote is working with the set-top box.
Point your smartphone at the set-top box and Press the power button to turn on the set-top box. Check whether the Set-top box responds or not.
If the set-top box does not respond, you can check with another configuration pressing the small arrow button on the right of the power button.
If the remote works, tap on Yes
Now enter the Name you want to assign for the remote.
You can rename the remote according to your room or leave it on default.
On the next step, Make sure to check the Add shortcut option. It creates a shortcut button on the Home screen.
Now, select the Paired option and you are ready to go.
Set-Up of Remote for TV
You can set the remote for the TV in the same way as we did for the Set-top box.
- On the application, press the + icon and select the TV from the various options.
- On the search box, type the name of your Television brand.
- Now a dialog box appears to make sure your remote is working with the TV. Point your smartphone at the TV and Press the power button to turn on the set-top box. Check whether the TV responds or not.
- If the set-top box does not respond, you can check with another configuration pressing the small arrow button on the right of the power button.
- If the remote works, tap on Yes.
- Now enter the name you want to assign for the remote.
- You can rename the remote according to your room or leave it on default.
- On the next step, Make sure to check the Add shortcut option. It creates a shortcut button on the Home screen.
- Now, select the Paired option and you are ready to go.
Using a Single Remote for TV and Set-top Box
After you set-up both the remote for the TV and Set-top Box, open the remote for your set-top box. On the set-top box remote, you can see the power button for your TV.
If you have remote for multiple TV’s, you can select the correct one connected to your set-top box by long-pressing the power button for your TV.